Website Baker Botts LLP
Baker Botts L.L.P., a full-service, leading international law firm recognized for our understanding of the industries we serve, is seeking a seeking a highly motivated Manager, Client Development to support the Firm’s Technology Sector on the west coast. The ideal candidate is an experienced, engaged professional who thrives in a team environment that provides strategic management, implementation and execution of business development objectives and priorities related to the Firm’s Global Technology Sector which accounts for a third of the firm’s revenue. The Baker Botts tech practice boasts a top-tier client list and is supported by a significant team of highly technical lawyers across the transactional, litigation and intellectual property practice groups. As part of the firm’s Client Development team, the primary focus of this role will be to execute business development and marketing initiatives that drive awareness/recognition and enhance the brand perception of the firm’s Technology lawyers, practices and experience. This market-facing role will have the opportunity to work directly with active and prospective clients, market influencers as well as firm leadership.
The Manager, Client Development – Technology Sector will identify opportunities to raise the firm’s profile in key markets, sectors and practices, as well as pull together winning teams and key messaging for cross-practice pitches, RFPs and ranking/survey submissions. This role will support client focused collaboration and coordination among partners across practices and geographies.
The person in this position should be a leader, self-starter with a can-do attitude, have the ability to convey confidence to our lawyers, display a strong executive presence, and be dedicated to providing superior service and value to our clients and lawyers. A polished, experienced manner in collaboration with fellow professionals is required. This is a firmwide, full-time, exempt position with excellent benefits, located in either the San Francisco or Palo Alto office with a hybrid work schedule. Weekly travel between the Bay Area offices and surrounding area will be required. Travel to other non-resident office(s) to assist with sector and practice events and initiatives on an as needed basis.
Essential Duties And Responsibilities
- Manage the strategic marketing efforts for the firm’s global Technology Sector including business development initiatives, sponsorships and events, content creation, survey submissions and lateral attorney integration.
- Lead and grow business development for Baker Botts in line with the market and firm priorities with an emphasis on lawyers who serve the Technology Sector and those based in the Bay Area.
- Assist with support of California Client Development projects and lawyer initiatives as designated.
- Manage and maintain the Firm’s partnerships and sponsorships related to the global Technology Sector.
- Provide Tech industry-specific insights and direction to cross-disciplinary, professional staff and lawyer-led teams in support of the firm’s strategic business development objectives and priorities.
- Act as advisor to partnership by communicating trends, opportunities and other business intelligence influencing the industry rankings, through research and analysis of market data, participation in strategy meetings, preparing internal/external presentations, and development of special projects.
- Prepare content for internal meetings with Firm Leadership, Technology Partners, and Strategic Business Development Committee.
- Work with the Communications team to co-develop visibility plan to enhance the industry brand through public relations, events and award submissions.
- Plan and communicate ROI on industry events, such as industry conference sponsorships, client presentations and seminars, section retreats, client dinners, and other events related to the promotion of the firm’s core technology practices.
- Oversee client appreciation/business development events related to the firm’s Technology Sector, including client CLEs/seminars, industry/conference sponsorships and various sporting, arts, and theater events. Events are often held after hours and on weekends and require attendance for the duration of event.
- Support lateral attorney integration in conjunction with the Director of Partner Integration & Coaching by serving as the Technology Sector liaison with counterparts across the Firm to coordinate local office visits, schedule regular check-in meetings and track progress of business development and marketing activities; includes basic onboarding tasks such as scheduling Firm photo shoot and drafting attorney biographies.
- Oversee the drafting and editing of select business development materials, including presentations, electronic updates and newsletters; track outcomes and update records of same.
In connection with the firm’s Business Intelligence team, assist with conducting research and compiling information for business intelligence reports (company information, executive profiles, industry trends, and competitor information).
- Oversee and track all client entertainment efforts and activities related to the firm’s global Technology Sector.
- Ensure proper communication with lawyers, Client Development colleagues, and other internal departments to ensure firmwide information flow.
- Other special projects as assigned by Client Development Directors and Chief Client Officer.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Minimum 5-7 years of professional services marketing experience, preferably within an AmLaw Top 200 law firm.
- Strong knowledge of the Technology Sector and emerging growth sectors preferred; Corporate, Emerging Company/Venture Capital, Intellectual Property, Litigation experience a plus.
- Candidate must be able to work well with lawyers, other professionals and staff within the firm; be comfortable interacting and collaborating with key department personnel; maintain confidentiality and possess patience, diplomacy, enthusiasm, and perseverance.
- Candidate must be comfortable in a fast-paced environment, be detail-oriented and have strong skills in written/verbal communication, organizational ability, prioritization and dealing with ambiguity.
- Candidate must have strong skills in MS Office software (Teams, Outlook, PowerPoint, Word, and Excel); working knowledge of Vuture, Foundation, PitchPerfect, and Sitecore a plus.
- Candidate should have experience with CRM software; experience with InterAction a plus.
- Candidate should be comfortable using Web-based software and research tools, experience with Pitchbook, Capital IQ, Monitor Suite, Hoover’s, and others a plus.
This position requires contact with individuals within the firm as follows:
- a high degree of contact within the Client Development department
- a high degree of interaction with firm lawyers
- a moderate degree of contact in collaboration with other staff departments within the firm (recruiting, professional development, practice management, etc.)
This position requires contact with individuals outside the firm as follows:
- a moderate to high degree of contact with accelerators/incubators, industry organizations, conference providers and other organizations relevant to the technology sector
- a moderate to high degree of contact with market influencers relevant to the strategic goals of the Firm’s tech sector initiatives
- a moderate degree of contact with firm clients and prospective clients in connection with firm events and initiatives
- Must be able to work at a computer and telephone for extensive periods of time.
- Must be able to routinely lift and carry files and other items up to 10 pounds; and
- Must be able to function in a standard office environment as well as in a work-from-home setting.
- Position requires extensive telephone and videoconference use.
- Must be able to lift, squat, kneel and bend.
- Position requires the ability to visit face-to-face and on the phone with firm lawyers.
Working Condition and Environment
- Work is normally performed in a typical office work environment.
- Position is full-time and requires a hybrid three-day in office/ two-day remote work week and standard hours as outlined in the Firm policy manual. Additional hours, including weekend and evening hours may be required to perform the essential functions of the job, especially during the spring and fall months.
- Must be available to work after hours, when necessary to meet established deadlines or stay current with occasional peaks in workload. Must be willing to change regular work schedule to meet the needs of the Firm.
- Position may require some out-of-town travel, including weekends.
- Must be able to perform essential duties of the position with time constraints and frequent interruptions.
- Ability to work well in high pressure environments.
- Must be able to make site visits for event planning purposes.
For positions based in the San Francisco or Palo Alto office of Baker Botts L.L.P., the salary range is $124,000 – $186,000.
Baker Botts L.L.P. is an equal opportunity employer and considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, gender, sex, age, religion, creed, national origin, citizenship, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, medical condition, military and veteran status, gender identity or expression, genetic information or any other basis protected by federal, state, or local law.