Fenwick & West is a top-tier law firm with an open and inclusive culture. With more than 300 attorneys and 400 employees in the Silicon Valley, San Francisco, Santa Monica, Seattle and New York, we work with companies on the cutting edge of technology, life sciences and cleantech. For more than four decades, our Firm has helped some of the world's most recognized companies become and remain market leaders. We are proud to have been named one of the Best Places to Work in the Bay Area for the twelfth year.
We have an opening for a Director of Attorney Recruiting who will have oversight and responsibility for all lateral partner hiring, determining firmwide lateral hiring priorities and developing and aligning to a strategy for fulfilling those needs. The Director is responsible for overseeing all aspects of attorney recruiting, including lateral attorneys and summer associates, and develop successful tactics for sourcing and contacting potential candidates. This individual will manage, mentor and lead the attorney recruiting team, creating an engaged environment with an open communication culture and providing effective guidance. This position can be based in our Mountain View or San Francisco office with travel to other offices as needed.
Lateral Partner Recruiting
- Meet with practice group leaders and their designees to understand and identify lateral needs; assist in the development of strategic initiatives to grow the firm through lateral partner hiring.
- Conduct market research to target best candidates for lateral partner positions.
- Develop an interview team and optimal pairings for joint interviews based on each unique candidate. Develop partner interviewer trainings and best practices.
- Direct all processes around lateral partner recruiting, including submission review, feedback and analysis of candidates, skillful creation of lateral partner candidate memos, presentation of profiles to the firm’s Executive Committee, and final due diligence efforts.
- Work with Practice Management, Marketing and Business Development, Conflicts and other departments to ensure smooth onboarding and focused integration of lateral partner candidates.
- Build and maintain relationships with partners to foster a strong commitment to the entire lateral partner recruitment process.
Lateral Associate Recruiting, Summer Program and Fall Recruiting
- Work with direct reports to ensure that hiring needs are met, candidates are being sourced, and written descriptions and criteria for specific lateral searches are developed when specialized expertise is targeted, in order to facilitate candidate submissions that best fit the defined need.
- Facilitate decision-making throughout the hiring process and ensure that we keep momentum.
- Work with the Legal Personnel and Practice Management to ensure each incoming lateral hire makes a smooth transition into the firm.
- Oversee the firm’s Summer Associate program, including LLMs, as well as the firm’s Fall Recruitment process. Make calculated recommendations for continued growth and improvement of programs.
- Establish strong, effective relationships with third-party search firms. Regularly communicate hiring priorities and strategy, articulating the value proposition for various key hires.
- Manage and analyze firm-wide recruiting data; prepare and deliver presentations to firm leadership on recruiting goals, successes, challenges, strategies and market trends. Propose hiring projections and analysis and general recommendations as to hiring goals and strategies. Track market trends and propose policy modifications.
- Prepare, manage and track spend to a detailed annual budget. Accountable to Hiring committee and firm management on department costs, programming and event expenditures, search firm costs, on campus interview programs, etc. with an emphasis on strategic decisions on recruitment expenditures.
- Represent the firm at various national forums relating to hiring and recruitment.
- Partner with Diversity & Inclusion to execute strategies that will recruit diverse candidates to the firm.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Desired Skills and Qualifications:
- Demonstrated leadership qualities, strategic and innovative thinking, an ability to persuade and influence, and strong professional presence.
- Proven experience with the ability to retain, develop and motivate exceptional talent development professionals.
- Strong managerial skills, including the ability to exercise discretion and independent judgment with respect to matters of significance.
- Executive presence, tenacity, integrity, and professionalism that will engender confidence with attorneys, administrative leadership, and prospective candidates.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to work effectively in a consensus-driven organization and to create consensus-based support.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Outstanding relationship-building skills with the ability to collaborate equally well with senior administrative managers and staff, partners and associates across the firm.
- High proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Outlook, Excel). Experience in working with attorney recruiting databases required.
- Strong organizational and project management skills including the ability to adjust to changing priorities in a professional manner.
- Ability to use initiative and judgment to accomplish results.
- Ability to work independently and with a team.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Reporting to the Chief Talent Officer, the ideal candidate will have at least ten years’ experience in legal recruiting in law firms or law school, and proven track record of effectively leading a team of exempt and non-exempt staff. Experience overseeing attorney recruiting programs, lateral partner or associate recruiting. Bachelor's Degree required; Master’s Degree or JD a plus.
- To be fully considered for this position, please apply directly online:http://www.fenwick.com/pages/Careers-Professional-Staff.aspx