Baker Botts, a full-service, leading international law firm recognized for our understanding of the industries we serve, is seeking a Recruiting Manager to support our Palo Alto and San Francisco offices. This is an exempt position which will reside in either our Palo Alto or San Francisco office, with significant travel to the other office. The Recruiting Manager, working in coordination with Office Hiring Partners, Office Partners In Charge, and the Firmwide recruiting team, is responsible for all aspects of lawyer and law student recruiting including summer associates, new lawyers, and lateral associates, counsel and partners.
- Working with Departmental leadership, Hiring Partners and Partners In Charge to determine the hiring needs for the office.
- Planning, coordinating, and implementing the summer associate program, including orientation, training, social events, assignment tracking, performance evaluations, expense reimbursements, budget, and all Hiring Committee meetings.
- Planning, coordinating, and implementing campus and callback interviews, including scheduling, identification of interview teams, active management of offers, follow-up efforts, and communicating with recruits.
- Coordinating the recruitment process for lateral candidates, including reviewing candidate materials, collecting candidate information, coordinating interviews, and communicating with candidates and placement agencies throughout the process.
- Assisting firmwide lateral partner hiring team on various aspects of lateral partner hiring, on-boarding, and integration.
- Coordinating with HR and other staff to complete various new-hire related paperwork (background check, conflicts, references, bar status, etc.), as well as, other employment related processes.
- Maintaining and updating LawCruit, the applicant database, and generating reports on recruiting statistics as needed.
- Planning and implementing efforts to increase and improve firm visibility and profile at targeted schools and in the market generally.
- Budgeting for summer program, campus interviews, and callback interviews.
- Collaborating closely with the various administrative departments, as well as, practice leaders to ensure high levels of client service and satisfaction are attained in all aspects of the position.
- Other projects as assigned by the Director of Recruiting.
- Bachelor's degree required; 5+ years of related experience; prior experience in a law firm or professional services firm strongly preferred.
- Strong knowledge and understanding of recruiting policies and procedures; including knowledge of recruiting software and applicant tracking systems; familiarity with viDesktop, LawCruit and/or other recruiting systems strongly preferred.
- Team-oriented self-starter with an ability to interact with all levels of personnel while projecting a strong and positive image of the Firm; effectively follows instructions from a diverse group of clients, attorneys, and staff.
- Attention to detail; ability to solve problems independently; ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects under tight deadlines and within budget.
- Flexibility to adjust hours to meet departmental needs and attend some evening events; a high volume of additional hours are required during the law school recruitment season and summer associate program. Work regularly requires more than a standard work week to perform the essential duties of the position.
Extent of Contact
- Extensive daily contact with lawyers, staff, and colleagues.
- Frequent contact with outside vendors.
- Extensive contact with candidates for employment and placement agencies.
- Must be able to routinely lift and carry file folders weighing up to 5-10 pounds.
- Must be able to work at a computer for considerable periods of time.
- Position requires extensive telephone use.
- Must be able to lift, squat, kneel and bend.
- Position requires the ability to visit face-to-face and on the phone with summer associates, lawyers, caterers, and event planners.
Working Condition and Environment
- Work is normally performed in a typical office work environment.
- Position requires some travel including weekend and week-long travel for firm meetings, Baker Weekend, on-campus interviews, law school outreach and other recruiting events.
- Position is full-time and requires a five-day workweek and standard hours as outlined in the firm policy manual. Work frequently requires more than the regularly scheduled hours per week to perform the essential duties of the position especially during summer (summer associate events) and fall recruiting.
- Must be available to work overtime, including weekend hours, when necessary to meet established deadlines or stay current with occasional peaks in workload. Must be willing to change regular work schedule to meet the needs of the Firm.
- Must be able to perform essential duties of the position with time constraints and frequent interruptions.
- Ability to work well in high pressure environments.
- Must be able to make site visits for event planning purposes.